AS Media Blog

Thursday 17 November 2016

Final school magazine evaluation

Q: Who would the audience be for your media product?

The audience for my media product would be both students and parents of students. This is because students will be interested in aspects of my magazine such as BTCC and F1 results and perhaps even assistance in certain subjects. It is therefore important to cover these aspects as the students will see the school magazine as redundant to them personally. Parents will also be interested in the magazine as they will require information regarding term dates, OFSTED reports and assistance with parenting, if of course it is necessary.

Q: What have you learnt about technologies from the process of constructing this product?

I have learnt about several different forms of technologies that are used to create such products.

I have used Microsoft Word, which has allowed me to develop my knowledge of the software even further. This is important as I have become more confident and comfortable whilst using the software. I have mainly used Microsoft Word for write-ups such as this final evaluation. I have learnt how to use several different tools within the software. These have aided the progression of my coursework and has enabled me to complete certain aspects of my coursework I would not otherwise be able to complete had I not developed my knowledge of the tools in question.

I have also used Microsoft PowerPoint, mainly for mood boards when I have felt that using Fireworks was unnecessary or too difficult in a given situation. As with Microsoft Word, using this software has allowed me to develop my knowledge of the software even further. Again, as with Microsoft Word, I have learnt how to use several tools that I had not used previously. This has further developed my knowledge and understanding of the software as I have become more aware of the tools functions.

Finally, I have predominantly used Fireworks to complete aspects of my coursework. This is because it has many tools and features that I have not come across before I began this course. This, therefore, has introduced me to the software and I am now able to complete a large proportion of work using this software with little or no issue. The main sections of coursework that I have completed using this software include mood boards, mastheads, mock-up covers and final covers. I believe that I have developed an adequate understanding of the software, which is important for both this course and in general.

Q: In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of school magazines?

My media product uses typical school magazine conventions in the sense that it includes information for both students and parents of students, hence the reason I have included information regarding both student and parent interests and topics. This is important because I am looking to follow a trend created by writers of other school magazines in terms of the types of information included. I believe that this is important because I want customers to realise what I aim to achieve by selling this media product.


My school magazine develops on typical magazine conventions by including information that is not typically included in magazines of this type. This includes information regarding BTCC and F1 results, which are popular amongst a certain type of audience but are not typically included in school magazines as the information is seen as irrelevant, but I will be looking to challenge this statement. It could be said that this is challenging conventions as I am looking to allow the students feel relaxed whilst reading the school magazine as appose to just keeping them updated.

Everything on my blog from this point on-wards will be related to my music magazine.    

No comments:

Post a Comment